Nature and the environment is at the heart of Essensorie’s ethos. We believe that the onus of sustainability should not lie solely with the consumer. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Businesses should lead the way in sustainability and empower customers to make better environmental decisions. So, at Essensorie, how do we operate in an environmentally sustainable manner?
- Our bottles and jars are glass with the exception of our body wash and lotion. Glass - unlike plastic - is not manufactured using a fossil fuel and is infinitely recyclable. Also, the tactile weight of glass makes our products just that little bit extra special. Glass is class.
- Whenever possible we minimise the packaging that we use. For example, we don’t package our products in unnecessary cardboard boxes.
- We don’t offer plastic bags in the store. Instead we opt for brown paper carry bags and unbleached cotton gift sacks. In the future we are going to experiment with phasing out single use paper bags altogether.
- Whereas synthetic fragrance used by most fragrance and cosmetic brands is made using petroleum, our fragrances come from Mother Nature only. Essential oils are distilled from plants not synthesised with petrol.
Our online shipping packaging is all biodegradable and recyclable. We use cardboard boxes, protective packaging and tape.
- At our Block Arcade store we aim to reduce our waste as much as possible. We collect soft plastics to be recycled with RedCycle. Any polystyrene is collected and dropped for recycling at GreenWheel in Sunshine which is en route from the store to our production facility in Scotsburn. We make use of The Arcade's bins for our general paper, cardboard, glass and metal recycling. We are arranging with the Degraves Street Recycling Facility a system whereby we can deposit any organic waste we produce. Our goal is to send nothing to landfill.
- We've stopped printing receipts. Instead we offer digital email receipts. By entering your email for a digital receipt you are not joining our mailing list.
You can bring your used Essensorie packaging back to us. We will thoroughly wash, sanitise then reuse the packaging if it is in good condition. If it’s not possible to reuse a certain item of packaging then we will ensure it is correctly recycled.
- Some of our products - such as Desk Diffusers and Botanical Balls - can be continually re-fragranced with our Ambience Essences (pure essential oil). There is no need to buy an entirely new product when the fragrance runs low.
- Our plastic tubes are derived from sugarcane rather than petroleum. Over time we hope to change any other plastics that we use over to more sustainable alternatives. If your local council recycling does not accept such bioplastic, you can return the tubes to us and we will have them recycled by the manufacturer.
- We are working on implementing an in-store refill system for some products. We'll start with liquid products for scenting spaces such as Pillow Perfume, Home Perfume, Ambience Essence and Reed Diffusers and expand the range over time.